Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tranquility

The Tao te Ching (prounounced dow day sching), or simply the Way, was written over 2500 years ago and has been translated and published as many times as the bible. And, like the bible, it's hard to read. A book published twenty years ago remains the most accessible and wonderful way to benefit from the essence of the Tao. It's the "Tao of Inner Peace" by Diane Dreher. It's one of five books I would want with me if left on an island for a year (honestly.) Hmmmmm... what would the other four be?

"The Journey from the Center to the Page" by Jeff Davis, another book I've had but never really appreciated until recently, is definitely on my short list now. It combines yoga principles with authentic writing skills and I just love it. It's inspirational and healthful, too.

I'd have to take one of the Eckhart Tolle books and that would leave only two other books. One should be a great work of literature, but which one? I'll have to give that more thought. Feel like suggesting what books are essential to your peace and well being? Something you couldn't be without? Polvie, what you got with you down in Guatemala? Me and my two readers would love to know ;0
Meanwhile, as my editor and slave-driving friends remind me, keep writing. yes, I am! I hope to use this or one of my other blogs to promote the novel when it comes out, so stay tuned. If I don't post much for the next six weeks, you know why!! I'm on the home stretch!
But, can't do it in the midst of mental chaos so I'm really doing the nightly calming down and revitalization with these wonderful books. I feel fab when I go to sleep, it's just those waking hours that I struggle with ;) Judith Orloff's "Positive Energy" is also helpful, and as she points out you don't have to escape to a private island to avoid stress. She says we can shift from victim to victorious with "modest, simple positive energy techniques." She offers three minute meditations and was the one who suggested taking a techno-break-- a day without computers, email or tweets. I did on Sunday and it was a great way to reset. Try one or any of these to relax and feel inspired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Davis book sounds interesting Jami. Doug

mo said...

"Me and my two readers would love to know"

that just cracks me up!

yes, i agree with your cousin, that book does sound interesting.

i'd suggest for island reading an 'art' book of some kind that has the how-to's of book binding and examples of glorious handmade journals. i can't think of anything more calming and peaceful ;)