Friday, July 29, 2011

Analog Underground

I just love this! An Analog Revolution... back to the Future, again. Typewriters are having a renaissance! Along with vinyl albums, 35 mm film and not mentioned in the NY article, but another personal fav of mine: fountain pens.

As a writer, I recently had a hankering for a typewriter. At first, I thought about a real vintage model. You know, a black Underwood with the cool round keys like this one. I quickly gave up that idea for two reasons: too expensive now and not really useful. If I'm going to put a typewriter in my library, then it might as well be one I could actually use. Something fun. Talking to my friend Mo, I fondly recalled the portable I had as a teenager, an aqua Smith Corona. Then she sent me the NY mag article (linked in the title above) and lo and behold, it led me straight to a pic of my dream machine.

Here it is, a 70s era SCM "Cougar." I want one! For all I know, my old one could still be in the basement along with my inherited blue and mother of pearl accordion (don't get me going on that!) No, I wouldn't want to type out a book. Think of the problems with THOSE revisions! But, it would be fun to play around with...

just like my pens. Here is a sample of those. The new big Acura dragon (top), my beloved tiger eye Monteverde (left) followed by two Jinhao dragon pens, an ultra fine Jinhao and my bronze/pearl Laban. My new Picasso is on top of my journal. Two favorite inks there, too. The fabulous Caran d'ache "Storm" in it's leaded bottle and the round, inkwell included, Namiki blue. (click to enlarge) Love 'em all!

No comments: