Monday, January 23, 2012

Auspicious, indeed!

During the last week of my Vajrasattva Retreat, we studied Mahamudra. This is a "secret" teaching, and until recently remained one of the teachings that was very inaccessible. So, it certainly seemed more than coincidental when on the last day of the retreat, I learned that Lama Dudjom Dorjee from Dallas would be in Albuquerque to give Mahamudra teachings over that weekend (Friday - Sunday) at the KTC center which is only three miles from my house! That is auspicious enough. But, then at the initial public talk, I learned that he would be teaching the same translation used by Venerable Thrangu Rinpoche, who is the Abbot of Pema Chodron's Gampo Abbey, two of my "top teachers." Then, we had the special opportunity to have dinner with Lama Dorjee Saturday evening at the home of one of the Sangha members. That was even more amazing and during that time I received a very special transmission.

Our Kagyu lineage actually means "the whispered teachings" and places extreme importance on receiving oral transmissions. I have spent far more time reading than directly receiving the transmissions, but the times I've had these blessings and insights, I am reminded why it is so valuable. Proper guidance. Auspicious, indeed!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How funny that our paths cross over such familiar and common ground. Aside from also being Kagyu (My Dharma name is Karma Tsewang Zangpo), I received refuge at KTC in Wappingers Falls, NY with Lama Norlha Rinpoche. What was most interesting is that just this weekend, while looking for a Kagyu Lama in Colorado for my wife to receive refuge from, I came across the Vajra Vidya retreat center. This is a Thrangu Rinpoche center.

Also my thoughts and prayers for Thrangu Rinpoche. I learned from Khenpo Jigme that he was ill. Later I learned that he has had a stroke, but is doing well and is expected to return to his teaching schedule in mid-Feb.

How awesome your experience must have been!! Congratulations!

ZenWoman said...

Thank you, Ryan, it really was awesome, in the true sense of the term! I was full of awe at Lama Dorjee -- what a treasure! But, most remarkable was that I had just put Thrangu Rinpoche's commentary on the Ocean of Definitive Meaning (amazon Kindle version) on my Kindle, and BOOM... here's a Lama practically next door ready to teach this text!

How interesting that you are also seeking out Thrangu Rinpoche! Yes, he is one of the remaining Lamas who left Tibet the same time as HHDL. He has about 20 monasteries worldwide that he is involved with. We are fortunate to have one so close in Colorado!