Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Case and the RazorGal

Oh WOW! Here I am with one of my long-time favorite authors, William Gibson, at the public library Zero History talk/tour. In this pic he is signing my old, tattered copy of Neuromancer!! I asked, and he signed it: "To ZenWoman, a real RAZOR GIRL, best, Wm Gibson 2010 " OMG, I love it and have a pic thanks to my new BFF Riann. (never dreamt you would send pics so FAST! U R the bomb and a RazorGirl, too!!) For those who don't want the entire RazorGirl history, here's a brief quote about his original Razor, Molly:
William Gibson's Neuromancer is the original and still definitive text of cyberpunk fiction. No character is more beloved by cyberpunk fans than Molly, the original "razor girl." Among Molly's cybernetic augmentations are surgically inset mirrorshades which seal her eye sockets, "ten double-edged, four-centimeter scalpel blades [in] housings beneath [her] burgundy nails" (Gibson, 1984, p. 25), and a jacked-up nervous system for "the reflexes to go with the gear" (1984, p. 147). She also carries "a fair amount of silicon in her head" (1984, p. 34) -- not exactly the most feminine place in which to accommodate one's silicone augmentations ;) but these enhancements make her faster, tougher, and stronger than any of the male characters of the novel, none of whom sport cyborg augmentations to the same degree as hers.
YEAH BABY!!! Razor GALS Forever!!
I'll add another pic later and write up more about the event, too. Just had to get this posted ASAP so I can tweet and Fbook it! I also got my Zero History signed and my old Burning Chrome (his first stories!!) Thanks BookWorks and ABQ/BC Library and especially my pic-takin' pal! (and of course, JC who went with.) ps - Case was the protag in Neuromancer, but Molly was my early inspiration as a female hacker!! (think Lisabeth Salander, but the ORIGINAL!)

No comments: