Friday, August 31, 2012

Traveling in the Twilight Zone ;)

okay, I'll try not to complain this time. There were many aspects of the trip that I enjoyed and one that was straight out of the Twilight Zone.  Of course reuniting with Jeff was the main highlight (more fam pics to follow.) Serene moments like this were also high on the list. I was surprised by the spectacular scenery along I-70 coming home. Just west of Green River is basically more of the North rim of the Canyonlands!  Very pleasant surprise. Avoiding Price and Soldier's Summit was a blessing in itself.

I had the most incredible, really unbelievable experience on the return trip through Moab. Since so few read this blog, I'm going to tell you. If you recall (from prior posts) how much I disliked the development around Moab as I drove up to Idaho, then this will blow your mind.
Approaching Moab, on Highway 191 South from Green River, I was dreading the sight of hot asphalt, construction and all the misery that goes along with "progress." Surprisingly, as I drove along waiting for the congestion, road workers and all the new buildings, I never saw them. The highway was two lanes with no sign of recent work. I drove further and soon I saw all the quaint little buildings and charming sites that I remembered from years ago.

I had strong thoughts of my friend Tom who loved to base jump from those fantastic red rock formations. He died in a freakish accident over six years ago. All those famous formations were visible, not blocked by any tall apartment or business buildings. I kept looking for the development that bothered me so much on the way up, but I didn't see any of it. I thought it must be at the other end of town. But as  I continued on, soon I was on my way out of Moab and still driving on a two lane dusty road. Then came the shock. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw pitch black asphalt, double lanes, with cones and machines and a lot of construction. Ahead, once again just my quiet two lane road. I thought to pull the van over, get out and investigate, but then I heard these words in my head:  "Don't try to figure it out, just enjoy." Somehow I know this was a message from Tom.  He used to give me the same advice about my spiritual insights and "Cosmic Transmissions" back in the 80s; "Just notice, give thanks and carry on" he would tell me.  So, Tom, strange and inexplicable as it was, I took your advice and just enjoyed. Thank you! Coming home was very nice. Perception is a fascinating thing!   

No comments: