Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Getting Stronger...

Ok, for full effect, open the blog TWICE (I think it might happen automatically when you click on the title.) Then before you read further, see if you hear the Rocky music. If so, return to the other window and proceed reading with appropriate background music. If that's too much for you, just hum it to yourself. You know the old original Rocky "Getting stronger, won't be long now. Gonna fly now..."

Why, you ask, am I doing this? Cause I'm becoming a lean, mean fitness machine! Yes, me! You know, the former smoking, poker-playing party queen. Well, that life-style had to go when I had the near stroke crisis in 2007. It's taken awhile, but I'm getting into shape.

First, I quit smoking (almost two and a half years ago.) Then I got the Pilates machine. I didn't get really serious until about six months ago. I can do the full "hundreds" for those who know Pilates. (I was going to find a video link, but they were all too weird.) I also started some Yoga stretches and Sun Salutations when I retired. (I was always doing T'ai Chi, but all of this is more stenuous.) I'm still adding and learning more yoga. But, what brought on this Rocky-oriented post is that today I did the most I've done in one day --

I did the Hundreds this am, then late morning I got on the bicycle and for the first time went over a mile. I know how lame that sounds to fitness freaks, but I just got this bicycle less than a week ago and couldn't even ride a block at first. When I came back, I immediately got the dog and we walked on the ditch another 1.5 miles with the MP3 going. I was really jumping around, too and when I got home I did a serious aerobic dance routine to the music. My heart rate was up for a good 30 - 40 minutes. WOW! I could not have done any of this a year ago. And, I've lost several inches on the midsection. I'm really "pumped" ;) What next? Triathlon? Ha!

2 comments:

mo said...

look out, lance armstrong! ;)

ZenWoman said...

lol, lance! More like Richard Simmons -- ha!