Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Passing Star


On the night my mom died, I was out stargazing with my then-fiance (and husband of 12 years.) We saw a spectacular meteor. I vividly remember telling him we've got to go back (to her care facility.) I knew it was her spirit passing. I knew because it was related to experiences I had a few years earlier when my dad died -- yes I lost them both by the time I was 21.

In my novel I write that my protagonist, Niki, saw a bright meteor the night of March 2, 1982. She thought aloud, "I bet someone important is passing." That was Philip K Dick.

Last night I was stargazing late, 11 pm - 1 am. Around midnight (MDT), I saw an incredibly bright shooting star with long flashy trail. "Wow!" I said aloud in awe, then immediately wondered who died. I felt worried that it might be Thay, who has been ill.
This morning we all learned that a true star passed last night.
We knew it was coming, but it's sad and the country will not be the same without Ted Kennedy's strong leadership. He fought for forty years for health care reform. Let it pass, and not like a shooting star -- but into law for everyone.

Great Ted Kennedy site. Namaste, Senator Kennedy.

2 comments:

ZenWoman said...

I couldn't keep from watching the "Irish Wake" friday nite at JFK library -- where Caroline spoke of seeing the stars and thinking big, twinkly Jupiter was her Uncle Teddy. Or watching the actual funeral Saturday morning. It was all such shades of JFK -- glued to a TV set with my parents when I was 8 yrs old. I realized today there has always been a Kennedy brother in national politics since I can remember. I was only five when Jack was elected president. I can't really remember Eisenhower -- just my dad yelling at the TV set when he was on. I clearly remember JFK, the space race, and of course, the tragic end to Camelot.

Actually, every so many years we have laid a Kennedy to rest: Jack, Bobby, Jackie O, John Jr. and now Ted Kennedy. I guess this will continue for most, if not the rest of my life. But, no matter what other Kennedy or Shriver dies, this is the end of an era. The Kennedy brothers I knew are gone.

mo said...

i haven't posted a response because i've been feeling such profound grief at the extinguishing of the kennedy flame that i find it hard to put those feelings into words.

so, instead, i post the following article for your reading pleasure:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/30/greene.ted.kennedy/index.html