Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New Computer (s)

It's 2011, my intention was to focus on spirituality, but instead I am drowning in technology. I now have four computers. FOUR! Each one tinier than the preceding one: an old desktop with it's new wide-screen monitor, a Vista laptop with whiz bang video card, iPad and now a 4G HTC android phone. Do I need all this? Maybe if I start a book tour this spring. After all three of them will "go with" for touring. The desktop is old, but I still like using a "real" keyboard and large screen when I'm home. I could dock my laptop to that stuff, couldn't I, and get rid of the old "box"? OH, and I bought one of those tiny portable HDs too, so I can back up the old hard drive -- all the more reason to make the laptop the main machine. I love the iPad and don't regret buying it all all. It's great for kicking back and reading online stuff, when the phone screen is too small. Some pages look like crap on the phone... my own included: www.AKSbook.com But the phone is fab for combining all my little handheld stuff into one contraption. It's not just a phone, but MP3, FM radio, mini TV, Skype-capable calling, a HOT Spot for the laptop and iPad, HiDef camcorder, mega pixel camera, little game machine and uses those SD cards to hold lots of music, videos and photos. It's too cool not to have! Wasn't this the goal when PDAs first came into our consciousness? One machine to do all things digital? So that makes me an e-Buddhist? But if I ever go to a cave for contemplation, how will I plug in all this stuff to recharge ;)

4 comments:

polvinski said...

hey zen lady-

i got a droid X for Xmas.

want me to send you a pic of brett favre?

mo said...

you're all set for t-mobilizing and SST's, lol

hey, if you don't want that pic of brett favre, i'll take it :D

ZenWoman said...

HEE... Mo can have the brett pic. I'm so busy with the SSTing (SuperSonic Tweeting) on the 4G droid I can't even get my PJs off. YIKES!!!

ZenWoman said...

oh boy, we needed a third party to take a pic of Mo and me today: a table full of geek toyz! Laptop, netbook, iPad, Kindle and droid 4G multi-function contraption ;) But each one has its place... bigger computers for inputing, netbook for on-the-go writing, iPad for kickback multimedia viewing, ultra light Kindle for book and text reading, and 4G phone for GPS, quick email/texting/net updates, and traveling hot spots, oh yeah and answering a voice call!

Hey, don't hunt me down to find this stuff -- this was up in the Heights! and like Al Gore, put it in a lock box!!