Friday, December 31, 2010

Day 31: Core Story

What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? Spirituality. Wait... before any eye rolling or sighing, how would you define that term? Here's a definition I really like: The deepest values and meanings by which people live. So for one person that might be honesty, for another truth seeking, or for HH Dalai Lama simply Compassion.
Thanks to Pema Chodron, I've felt more liberated about embracing my views on spirituality and discussing it this past year. As she says, "It's our practice, not our perfect." That changed everything for me. For years I felt unworthy to discuss how important spirituality and my "Mission" was to me. I felt I was living a lie. Drinking, smoking, a "party girl" for most of my life. Who was I to call myself a Buddhist or a Bodhisattva (In Tibetan Buddhism, a Bodhisattva is anyone who is motivated by compassion and seeks enlightenment not only for him/herself but also for everyone.) Who am I to judge others? (that's my practice and work for 2011...)
But who am I to judge myself? Pema's talks on maitri (self acceptance) have been revolutionary for me. (If you have 5 minutes, have a listen.) How do I share this? Through blogging and writing, for now. It helps me formulate and understand the Dharma (teachings) when I try to explain them in accessible, straight forward ways. I will do more of that in 2011, through this blog and my Warrior's Album (just a tease, for now.) Hopefully in 2011 my nebulous thoughts will become more lucid and helpful to others. Happy New Year MMXI !!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

so happy to have found you through Twitter & #reverb10. happy new year!