Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Solstice 2010

I wish I had asked to take a photo of the shrine that CJ and the nun (Ani)created at Rigdzin last night. It was much more magnificent than this older photo. There were 21 safflower (bright yellow) water bowls, and other offerings for this most auspicious conjunction of the full moon eclipse and winter Solstice. Why is this so "auspicious?" The very word implies fortunate new beginnings. In the Tibetan and Indian cultures, the new year began with the winter Solstice. Seeing a full moon and even more, an eclipse, on that same day is rare. It hasn't happened for nearly 500 years. It IS auspicious!

12 hours later... Well, I had thoughts I would finish this Wed morning, and add some links and more info about Kuntunzangpo and why we celebrate the "original" Primordial Buddha, but the holidays have a life of its (their) own. I had people show up unexpectedly at 8 am, and suddenly it's now 11 am and I have a much to do to make merry here at the house. I'll try to sneak another late night blog in after this crazy day ends...

No comments: