Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 16: Friendship

Today's Reverb10 prompt is: "How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?" My friend Mo has impacted my perspective on complaining -- in a favorable way. Despite her health problems, she rarely complains. I have noticed this and she points out the obvious: complaining does not help.

I remember a few years ago when we both got the "Complaint Free World" bracelets (purple bands.) If you complain you are supposed to move it to the other wrist, even if you have to do this fifty times a day. The goal is to bring attention to how many times we complain. I know at first we were both shifting them around a lot. But, Mo has somehow incorporated this philosophy into her essence now. She doesn't need the bracelet to remind her. She just isn't complaining or bragging about it, either. Good on you, MO! That's a huge accomplishment. I'm going to dig mine out and put it on... NOW!

Next Up: OTHER habit changes and MY Kleishas ;)

3 comments:

Julie Jordan Scott said...

How cool! I am thinking this would be a tremendous Christmas gift (perhaps to myself and a really good friend.)

BRAVA for both of you. THANK YOU for the inspiration!

I am grateful I found you today via #reverb10

mo said...

*blushes*

i have to say that in addition to "it doesn't help", it's really that the complaining about something just feeds whatever it is that you're complaining about, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

but there are still times i need that purple bracelet!! better go dig that out of my mess o'crap and wear it again, lol ;)

ZenWoman said...

Thank you Julie!! How fun you found us! Gotta love that Reverb10!! I'll check you out, too!!

Happy Holidays, I'm listening to radio Christmas music and it does get a person in the mood!! Leave a peppermiment stick for Ole St Nick... "he'll be coming down the chimney, down!!!"