Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 9: Reverb Prompt "Party"

These guys may not look like the penultimate partiers, but they are the Penultimate Dickheads and this is the gathering that "rocked my socks off" in 2010. WHY? Because after years of working on my novel "A Kindred Spirit" where Philip K. Dick is a central character, I attended the first Philip K. Dick Festival and held the Intergalactic debut of my novel there! That truly rocked my socks OFF!

I drove over 450 miles in the van, with my dog, to get there. I must say I was disappointed at first when I didn't see Woodstock-size throngs of folks covering the countryside, but the small group that did show up were hard-core Dickheads. They bought my book, and I forged friendships that extend beyond the sci-fi/metaphysical realm. Some of them are currently helping me with Q and A interviews about my novel.

Party HQ was a sprawling biker bar called Roy's "Last Shot" on a rural mountain road in between Denver and Boulder. We ate hearty food: burgers, steaks, pizza and listened to music by a group called Ubik, named after one of PKD's novels. The juxtaposition of the cerebral PKD fans with the Roy's rowdy, rugged bikers was something to see. But in the end, some of those bikers remembered reading PKD stories in their youth and actually joined us for pizza and discussions. It was a unique experience and a dream come true for me watching my private musings about Phil now perfect-bound and in the hands of the guys who knew him best.

1 comment:

mo said...

party hearty, gal! and a well-deserved party it was, with the penultimate gift, the publication of your AKS book. many pats on the back for that huge achievement!