Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 23: New Name

Here's a fun one: "If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?" I have always had name phobia or angst. My mother gave me a long first name (Elizabeth) and then NEVER used it. She called me by a nickname of my middle name. That was fine until I entered school. Teachers would call out, "Elizabeth" and I never answered. I thought this was cruel of my mother. My aunt always called me "EJ" to solve the problem, I guess. I never used that either. I used the nickname (that shall not be mentioned here)until I was about 35. Then one day I decided I would use my real middle name (I won't say it either, because after all this is about creating a NEW name!) I legally changed my name and dropped the lengthy Elizabethan moniker in favor of E. (rest of name.) Now I only use that as a lower case letter, as in e-name (you know, electronic name.)

I've also created a plethora of other names for myself: ZenWoman, I devised back in the early 1980s when I first needed a "handle" on the computer BBS systems. Zenara, was a New Age favorite of mine, or more recently OzenRishi for online games. One of the funniest re-naming incidents I recall was when a friend declared she was sick of her own identity crisis and wanted to change her name to a series of unpronounceable clicks!

So, if I could use another name, even for a day, what would it be? hmmmmm. Maybe Sherpa Lhamu Zopa, Tibetan for auspicious (or prosperous) female goddess ;) (It's just for one day, how about for Christmas!) ha! Too late, it's TODAY, in Twitterville!

No comments: