Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Quiet Christmas

I keep thinking of what Michelle said when I told her I would be on retreat through the holidays. She said, "So it will be a quiet Christmas for you this year." I didn't realize how quiet. I didn't think we were taking vows of silence for this retreat, but I see we really are. During the instructions and orientation this past week, we were told that the retreatants at Sravasti Abbey (the photo) are to turn off their cell phones, computers and that they will watch no TV or movies. Video Dharma talks are allowed and we were told we can access the internet Dharma pages, but no other type of "chit chat", in chat rooms, tweeting or emails. (Sravasti is a savvy abbey with plenty of digital dharma!)

So, I am actually violating the rules by blogging. But, I really felt as part of my purification process I need to post weekly. I am journaling a LOT. Keeping very detailed notes on the teachings, my reactions, and the effects. I would love to give my own big dharma talk by writing a Facebook note on all the nuances of this purification retreat, but that would be a complete violation, so I won't. I am learning to be quiet with my thoughts and reactions. To absorb and practice the teachings rather than feel compelled to share every feeling and insight. That is a breakthrough for me and enough said. Yes, Michelle, it is a very quiet Christmas! Holiday Blessings to my friends of all faiths and Namaste to all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night I watched the video version of "A Cave in the Snow" (Tenzin Palmo was one of the first women to be ordained as a Tibetan Buddhist Lama/Jetsunma, which means Venerable Master.) Last year I read the book (a gift from my Catholic nun friend.) Anyway, the important point in the video -- she was asked WHY spend such long periods in solitary retreat. She said only then can one truly drop our roles. When we are not wife, mother, writer or even fellow meditator/retreatant we can see beyond our usual identities and who we truly are.

Very profound, I thought, and good reason for doing the Retreat from Afar ALONE as opposed to a group retreat where we still have the "spiritual" roles.

I am not signing a name or ID to this. Who am I, really?

tmc said...

Best wishes on your Retreat from Afar! I considered it this year but wasn't sure I was up for the commitment. I'm hoping to start the SAFE program with Sravasti Abbey in March.

I understand your need to blog or write, even if it's kind of forbidden. I also feel like if I write things down so other folks can understand them, I've understood the topic better myself.

Peace!

ZenWoman said...

Thanks, TMC! I'm about to post now. I'll go over and check out your site, too. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I have done a silent retreat at the Kagyu Thubten Choling monastery in New York under Lama Norlha Rinpoche and my own three week retreat a year later in my home. I had to adjust the rules for my home retreat, which is why I said I did't know if you were able to communicate or not. I agree with your take on the subject, that dharma studies are ok to communicate about.

Have you performed the Vajrasattva sadhana yet? I'm curious about your experience with it.
I'm happy to have a sort of kindred spirit here.

I wish you the very best of luck in your coming year and on the completion of your retreat. I think that a retreat from ignorance and also attachment is a noble one; difficult but so worthwhile. How can we not be ignorant yet not attach to the information which frees our ignorance? That's a tough one. I wish you the very best of luck and I hope to talk a lot more in the coming year.

Namaste :-) Ryan