Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Do we NEED it?

Finally a piece of art worthy of taking over the BVM/LMM spot ;) ahhhh! Geek Chic! just look at that beauty! It's nice knowing I'm not the only one gushing and going wacky for the new iPad. Xeni gal, from BoingBoing, was practically orgasmic over it on Rachel Maddow's show. But to be fair, her male colleague had a polar opposite reaction on the BoingBoing site.

Why is it getting such extreme reactions? Well, to answer the opening question, of course we don't NEED it. Do we need Mont Blanc fountain pens, or expensive sports cars, or much of anything beyond the Buddhist mat and bowl? C'mon, of course we don't NEED it. Do we want it? Is it my current Kleisha? you betcha! I resisted the iPhone and then the Kindle, but with this device that combines the best of both of those, I cannot resist. It is not a replacement for my laptop. My laptop is a tool to create content, and also playback videos (with HDMI) on my TV. This little beauty is finally close to something I've been wanting for over twenty years -- a multi-functional, portable PDA (remember that, Personal Digital Assistant?) This is just about IT! Finally, a cool, state-of-the-art replacement for my Atomic Game Boy ;) Add phone and camera function, and baby, I'm there! As my man, Jon Meacham proclaims on his little weekly rag Newsweek -- EVERYTHING!

No comments: