Sunday, August 15, 2010

Live Blogging @ the PKD Fest

Now includes Day II: Well, here I am at the Festival in REAL time. No, that's not me. That's Patrick Clark, the FDO Guest of Honor -- an early, original PKD fan. I'm behind the camera snapping pics and writing. Events didn't begin until closer to noon and we're several speakers behind schedule. Frank Hollander has been talking for 90 minutes and sorry, but even Dickheads don't have this level of attention span for fan collection minutiae. But he does have the "holy grail" item that I won't reveal until I hunt down and buy. (See pics on FDO in the AKSbook FBook area.) Perry Kinman came all the way from Japan(amazing!) Finally we got to listen to Patrick Clark and Erik Davis and David Gill, and other speakers. There's a very small group here today, but I had a fabulous time at lunch with John Fairchild (who helped Paul Williams in the mid 80's with the PKD Society newsletters) and also edited some of the "Selected Letters" and Patrick Clark, who still publishes a Phil 'zine called PKD Otaku. He said his old 'zines are online, so here's a sample Issue #11. I would love to have this PKD Critical Interpretations by Sam Umland, who is here, but look at the price! Even $100 for Kindle version!

Sat Morning Update from icy cold van: I stayed in the lot at Roy's on 119. Great, but no elec or heat (now in the am.) Can't run the propane for frig or heat because I'm at such an angle the frig won't work. I feel drunk walking around, the van is at such an angle. (van? see pics below) Anyway, I'm running the generator for power (to email and make coffee) I'll be heading to the Gilpin Library around Noon or 1 pm for the afternoon program. It promises to be great. And as I thought, Patrick Clarck was wonderful Friday. Brought tears to my eyes -- his description of his long-time relationship with Phil. Erick and Gill talked Exegesis... that needs an entire blog post. I'll do that after today's presentations.
Finally, BOOKS, you ask. How are book sales? Meager. With less than 30 folks here you can imagine. sigh... but it's a great group and I know it will generate a lot of buzz. All these guys have active roles in the PKD Universe. and guess what, so far they like it!!

In fact, notice that Erik Davis (author of Techgnosis, Visionary State, and a consultant on Linklater's adaptation of A Scanner Darkly) has MY book, my novel lying on the table and referred to me during his remarks! I will post more on FBook later today. I have limited "juice" here in my make-shift camp zone. More soon! Sun, 8 am 8-15-2010

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More people there today?

ZenWoman said...

More Saturday... Final events begin @noon today... Sunday. Updates once I leave this red neck bar!

ZenWoman said...

Two Updates: I did order the "holy grail" and it's on its way now: The original 1982 Bibliography of all PKD works. It generally sells for around $100 now (worn copies for less.)

The critical analysis I bought in the mid 1990's was On Philip K. Dick: 40 Articles edited by R.D. Mullen. It too goes for over $100 now (I paid $10 back in the day.)

More blogging and errata AFTER I recover a bit today (Tuesday.)

mo said...

sounds like you had fun! crowd may have been small, but at least they were diehard fans. congrats on the book sales, too ... big yeay!

glad you had a safe trip back, and sorry to see that the izzster had a bad time of it :(