Friday, September 16, 2011

Calm Abiding

What I love the most about Pema (Pema Chodron) and her way of presenting age-old Buddhist teachings is how fresh and non-religious she makes the message. When she talks about addictions and desire it's more like listening to a young, modern counselor. You would not suspect you are hearing a 75-yr old nun teaching on Kleshas (our grasping nature.) If you haven't met Pema, take a moment and look at this brief discussion where Alice Walker (author of The Color Purple) expresses her gratitude and asks Pema if suffering serves any purpose.

I think everyone could benefit from Pema's messages. For some, like my friend Lesley, it has changed her life-- almost instantly. Lesley said HHDL (the Dalai Lama) didn't "speak to her." That floored me. But when I thought about it, I could see why. He's Tibetan and... a man. Pema is speaking directly to Americans and often to women. She is an American. She was married, has children and grandchildren, and knows exactly the kind of problems we face.

But for me the very best part of Pema, and any Buddhist teacher, including HHDL, is there is no proselytizing. If I sound "preachy about Pema" it's only because she's so wonderful and I want the world to know. I'm really not trying to recruit Buddhists. When you get down to it, it's really much more a philosophy than a religion. The Dharma (teachings) is more like a tool box -- techniques that can help quiet a troubled mind. As HHDL is fond of saying, "You can be a Buddha and a Christian, but usually it's the Christian churches who don't like the vice versa." He laughs a full belly laugh when he says that. Namaste! (which literally means I bow to you, or see myself in you.) OH, and for the exuberant, I posted a lengthy discussion as a link on the title.

1 comment:

ZenWoman said...

To Mo and follow-up on our Tweets: ALL of Pema's books are fabulous, IMHO. However, the books you have, "Wisdom of NO Escape" and "When Things Fall Apart" get more deeply into traditional Buddhist practice. I feel her last two books, "Taking the Leap" and "Practicing Peace in Times of War" are more accessible for someone who isn't into Buddhist thinking. That's just me, and I could be wrong. You know how personal these things can be and how at any given time something might "speak to you." As the old saying goes, "When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear." Enjoy your reading!!