Thursday, September 22, 2011

Water in the Desert

Love this shot I took of the mesa that inspired Georgia O'Keeffe to paint and stay in New Mexico. After 30 years I finally saw Abiquiu Lake. Although it's smaller than Heron Lake (where I stayed in 2008) the setting is more spectacular. I camped here with the van for three days.

Before that I stayed one night at Jemez Springs and have brief (hokey) videos of both. (They should be viewed in order, I think.)
First, just a still shot of Soda Dam, a unique geological natural dam at Jemez River. I camped further downstream...



The Lake was just a few steps from the "rig" at Riana Campground!
Abiquiu is about 90 miles northeast of Jemez and the whole trip was almost exactly 300 miles. And, what you can't see is the unbelievable night sky and dense stars. I could see the Milky Way! There were many cosmic events :-0 Those are for my paper journal (for now ;)

No comments: