Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Novel Idea

It's the last day of summer! I was riding my cycle, hair blowing in the wind, 85 here in ABQ. Tomorrow is supposed to be much cooler and rainy -- fitting for Fall. That's when I'll really write... (yeah, right!)

Honestly, I'm doing it. I plan to pull an all nighter and I worked on it all morning (the novel.)

I keep forgetting to mention this horrifying statistic: only one in four people even read a book last year. A single book! That's really difficult for a reader to grasp, and sad for those of us writing and hoping to find future readers. Unless, of course, your name is JK Rowling who had no trouble getting 16 million people to buy the final Potter book. Can you imagine how many more read library or borrowed copies of it!

It simply reaffirms that a novel must be novel. That is constantly on my mind. I can't rehash some tired old format or cliche concept. Fresh fiction...

(I forgot I started this and took off with Mo.) We went out to celebrate the Equinox (early.) And, where were we? A book store. Books are on my brain and with fall comes the real writing season. I better finish this now, because even if I do pull the writing all-nighter, I'll surely collapse before 3:51 am. Unlike Phil who would start at 11 pm and go until 5 am -- when he was MY age. YIKES! Anyway, I didn't finish my literary thoughts, but I do want to acknowledge the Equinox , and the Precession of the Equinoxes, like my novel, "The process is slow, but cumulative." (And, it's a chapter title in AKS!)

No comments: