Sunday, September 2, 2007

Watching the Grass Grow


I come back from my wilderness retreat, turn on the tv and there's the alleged political pundits pontificating on the 2008 election. At least when I'm in the middle of nowhere watching the grass grow, I'm meditating and contemplating on things more immediate than an election that's still 15 months out. But since I saw this, "Meet the Press", here's my thoughts. This Senator Craig was forced to resign because he "touched a foot" under a restroom stall? I'm still not clear on what happened there but I had to laugh my ass off listening to out-of-touch Mary "Magdalene" Matalin, the old George H Bush hack and self-proclaimed republican spokesperson (at-large), blather on about the viability of the R presidential candidates. Pahleeeeze. Would that be cross-dressing, adulterer Giuliani? Or perhaps Mr. Mit Morman Macho Mess who's run will never fly, (should that be his fly will never run?) who cites the Bible has his favorite book (geez.) Or perhaps old down-home actor/lobbyist Fred Thompson with his trophy wife (25 years younger than him?) These guys are fit for President, but the footsy-playing Idaho senator had to resign. hmmmm.

As a former Iowan and barometer of midwest sensibilities, I will be shocked if any of these pillars of stability appeal to the State Fair State. Thompson did attend for photo-ops (the Fair.) I'm only concerned about who Iowa picks in the democratic caucus in January. A few months ago, the Des Moines Register had my man Edwards a clear favorite with 30% of the vote. Now, that's slipped and current polls show Hoary Hillary in the lead. (don't make assumptions about what hoary means -- if you don't know look it up! Better yet, let me provide the definition: dated; tedious from familiarity; stale: as in "Please don't tell that hoary joke at dinner again tonight.")

And, how about James Carville, ex-Clinton hack and married to the Mouth Matalin (ref above.) I swear he's turning into Yoda right before our eyes on national television. Huge hairy ears, bald head, big, bulging eyes. Good grief!

And, our poor host, Tim Russert, seems equally out of touch with reality, closing the show with a comment about how we'll continue this conversation around our BBQ's for the holiday weekend. Huh? Do you honestly think regular Americans chat about this crap on their holiday weekend?

Bottom line: it's too frickin' early to care about the 2008 election -- especially on Labor Day Weekend 2007! I hope everyone is out there enjoying nature, as I just did, and if they think about anything, let it be global warming and how to preserve what beautiful environment we have left.

No comments: