Saturday, July 3, 2010

proving my legitimacy

One of the things I truly hated about working for government was justifying my existence. For those who don't know, a significant percentage of government workers really are worthless "bumps on a log." They lack incentive or initiative, probably because they've been beaten down by arrogant supervisors or politicians.

On any given day, I could walk into my office in a cheerful mood, ready to accomplish something, and immediately be attacked by some ass who wasn't sure I was earning my pay. So instead of being productive, I would spend the day proving what I had done over the past week, month, or year. It was demoralizing.

I swore when I retired from government I would never waste my time accounting for my work or actions again. Wrong! I spent an inordinate amount of time a few months ago justifying a dental claim. And, now, with the novel, I've had to justify and explain myself to bankers, lawyers and publishers. I am sick of this. So sick, in fact, I wanted to toss the book and all the legal BS into the trash and just forget it.

It seems no matter what we do, from traveling to writing to just living, we are constantly forced to prove our legitimacy and justify our actions. I hate it! I want a real Independence Day. I vow not to explain myself or my actions, not once tomorrow, July 4th!

No comments: