Sunday, June 7, 2009

Respect

There's a novel idea. President Obama simply asked that we calm down; listen, learn and respect one another. I suspect the difficulty is the same we have right here in the U.S. Radical extremists refuse to do any of those things. Hot headed radical repubs couldn't wait to condemn the remarks and call it the "US Apology Tour." I have no idea how to communicate with closed-minded people. I used to think I did. I thought for years I was a diplomat -- a communicator. As Dylan says, "things have changed."

For over 30 years I have tried to explain Buddhism. While many people are open minded and willing to consider eastern philosophy, many are not. I wrote a few sarcastic statements just now and then deleted them. I must try, too. I guess I see that foreign equates to threat for many people. Izzi (my dog) protects the house. She doesn't care about the person's intentions -- not initially. Her first reaction is to protect the property. I guess that's how the right-wingers view everything. Shoot first and ask questions later. We tried that (for eight years) and it didn't work. Hate breeds more hate. For now, the Democrats are in control and we must try diplomacy and negotiations over war.

There is nothing wrong with Islam or quoting the Quran. Just like there is nothing wrong with Catholicism, Protestant Christianity or Judaism. It's how any religion is twisted or misused that is the problem. Buddhism is all about personal responsibility, and peace -- not worshipping a deity (but that explanation is for another day.)

Listen, learn and respect one another. Great advice, difficult to practice! Killing an abortion doctor doesn't accomplish a thing other than starting yet another war. I can't advance my cause (or beliefs) by shooting, yelling or spitting on you. Respect? We must all start there. Let's try!!

No comments: