Sunday, February 1, 2009

The First Day...

of the rest of my life!! I've got to come up with a new phrase. Like Phase II, or my Real Life -- anything but "Retired." I am not retired. That implies doing nothing or to quit living. I've only stopped the government job. Everything else is just beginning!

I'm taking a creative writing class, doing meditative and other retreats. Later I'll be traveling. Tonight at a Super Bowl party, people were asking (again) if I'm bored. I actually haven't even had my first official day of retirement yet. For the past two weeks I was finishing up work stuff. Monday is really my first official day of "retirement." So, that explains my irrational exuberance over the economic stuff. I've got to let that go. I need to spend one or two days a week avoiding the news. It's too stressful. I want to create a Peace Zone. I need it.

I've said before ranting is my Kleisha (sort of addiction -- in Buddhist thinking it's what we grasp or cling to.) I know it's my issue and I want to Let Go. So, I'm glad I blog. It's a way of tracking myself and holding myself accountable out here in cyberspace. Let's hope that I make progress this year. I don't want to look back and see that I wasted another year foaming at the mouth over politics and world economics. Quieting our mind is also a political act. Much more important than any ranting I can do. We need less Greed, hatred and ignorance -- and ranting. What is it Brother Bob says - "Let there be peace on earth, And let it begin with me."

2 comments:

BobR said...

Good and holistic thinking, Zen Woman! Of course, "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me," comes from a song from years ago. But I have come to believe that Peace (capitalized) resides IN us and calls to each of us to emerge. And only as each of us makes that our primary aim can peace indeed flower on the earth. A Christian way of saying that would be (from Romans, I believe): "Let the mind that was in Christ be in you." I am sure there is a Buddhist equivalent referring to this universal human potential.

Terry said...

Hey, I see that the early bird caught the worm, while I played with grasshoppers as usual. My bad luck. I thought I might find some enlightenment by sharing with grasshopper, but I seem to have drifted into the wrong cartoon. So now I arrive and I see the bobber has already given you the seal of approval (and doesn't that make you feel like a walking talking Louvre all on your own, eh?!), though I still search for the wholism alleged to be present. Or is that holism?

Well, milady, that wasn't really much of a rant, now was it? Surely you can root amongst your shadows and find a ripe rant that doesn't concern itself with being so balanced, no? I was just reading a story that includes mention of the Banshee, so naturally I dashed over here right away. I mean, not to call you names, but to ask you if you knew that the Banshee is actually two words, from 'Ban' (woman) and 'Sidhe' (spirit). Really, what I wanted to ask is if the Ban of Hours rings any bells, since I ran across her too. Speaking of which, I used to know a woman from Belgium who swore up and down that she could see faeries. Walking through Stephen's Green, she would suddenly say, "there's one, right over there!", but I couldn't see any, no matter how hard I squinted. Though I did spot a hairdresser or two in the vicinity.

I have a friend who is making an audio book from an autobiography that inspired her. The woman starts out by talking about her many deaths in life, and how one can get to skid row even while wrapped in silken sheets. So here you are talking about remaining young. Well, I wish you all the luck on that one. Once that notion of age settles in at some pre-thought, pre-subvocal level, it can be awfully hard to root it out. You're probably in the only country on earth that gives you a fighting chance, which is a good thing (one of the few left, I'm afraid). I surely do with you luck on these things.