Sunday, January 11, 2009

Armadillos Moving North


Armadillos are advancing northward. Just one more ominous sign of climate change. Those little critters I love so much, because they are self-contained (like me in my RV Van), have to get out of the heat or cook in their shell. YIKES! Scientists say will be seeing them here in ABQ soon. And, the bees? Researchers are still trying to solve the missing honey bee crisis.

We're pumping 70 Million tons of Co2 into the atmosphere each day now. Already there are no glaciers left at Glacier National Park (in the USA) and if Greenland melts in my lifetime (which seems very possible now), then we're looking at 40 foot of sea level rise coming much faster than anyone thought. My pal Al (Gore) says that would displace as many as 200 Million people. Where would they go? Will they, and the armadillos, arrive here in New Mexico?? They have to go somewhere, so we'll be impacted, too. Yet none of this evidence is creating any urgency to solve our oil consumption or other fossil fuel issues. Only when gas gets close to $4 per gallon do we insist on action.

We're wrapping up Armageddon week on the History channel... So, after I've seen all these shows and finished my 2012 books by Daniel Pinchbeck, I'll be fully prepared to give my own prediction on how to get through these next four years. Stay tuned!!

No comments: