Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Double Standard

I realize there's always been a double standard for rich and poor, but never has it been so blatant as NOW!
Bernie Madoff (seen here today going back to court)confessed his $50 Billion fraudulent Ponsi scheme, yet gets to stay in his $7 MILLION New York penthouse! All new meaning to "house arrest." His victims are broke and several have committed suicide while he remains in luxury they paid for.

Tim Geitner, the nominee for US Treasury Secretary and head of the IRS forgets to pay his own taxes! (The fact that the guy is uber smart just makes it more bizarre.) The biggest businesses in America get the billion-dollar bail outs, while small companies go bankrupt, fail and the owners are screwed. And, the CEOs of these failed or propped-up corporations get mega-million bonuses! It's truly incomprehensible.

It took over ten years, but I paid off the debt I incurred for my small business venture. I pay thousands in taxes every year. I can't imagine what would happen if I forgot. I know I'd go to jail if I bilked people out of a few bucks. I'm sure we'll all be paying more (in taxes) to cover our $1.2 Trillion national debt and the cost of all these losers. Why are we tolerating it?

No comments: